Packing for overseas & locally has become more difficult with luggage restrictions. Not to mention when you check in your bag…. & its overweight, which means pay up. I have to admit that luggage was the reason ( in my mind ) I missed my flight back to Cape Town a few years ago…( okay maybe i should have been there earlier but these things happen ).
Over Packing has always been my downfall. Instead of packing the items i know i will definitely wear,I have this fear in the back of my mind that i will want to wear some of the “older” items in my wardrobe.
So i thought i’d share some tips that i have started using when packing,to ensure I pack as much as possible while keeping to the airline restrictions.
1. Create a packing list:
- Address list and list of important contacts or numbers
- Backpack, suitcase, sports bag (something to pack everything in)
- Paper or Notebook
- Tickets and itinerary
- Travel Insurance
2. Flat lay everything on your bed beforehand to figure out which items you can use & style differently throughout your trip.
3. Carefully plan the bag you will be using. “When you figure out your suitcase, you figure out your life,” Diane von Furstenberg.
4. Pack the items you have been wearing regularly the past 1-2 months. ( I would say keep to the basics)
5. To save space in your bag,rather roll you clothes than fold them normally.
6. Never put anything you would hate to lose in your checked luggage,rather keep it as hand luggage.
7. Try not to check in late: even if you make it on to the flight, your luggage might not. ( This one is definitely for me)
8. If you want to make sure everything else in your bag stays clean , place inside airtight plastic bags.
9. Store toiletries like shampoo etc. in small containers.
10. Get a lock for your baggage.
Happy travelling 🙂